After the dissolution of the abbey of Garsten in 1787 Christkindl had to stand on its own feet. For this reason the local tradition gives 1787 as the date of the foundation of the parish.
The Christmas Post Office was set up for the first time in 1950. It made Christkindl known to many people all over the world. Since 1976 the parish has been in the hands of Prof. Alois Dinböck as parish priest. With great energy he set about the difficult task of thoroughly renovating the parsonage and the church.